Zucchini or courgette are low in histamine and make a great dip. This dip is perfect in wraps, on crackers or with veggie sticks as a snack. Lovely, lusciously thick and low histamine its extremely versatile and could be easily used for many different dishes.
I make a large batch and freeze in small glass lock baby food containers, easy to pull out and defrost for lunches.
You can replace the basil with coriander (cilantro), parsley or any other fresh herb you would like to try. I often use white pepper instead of black pepper as it is lower in oxalate. However, at the quantities used, it doesn’t really matter too much, but it’s an easy swap to make.
Find out which foods are low and high in histamine and how to shop store and cook them in the Happy Without Histamine low histamine foods list.
Roasted Zucchini Dip
- Food Processor
- 5 zucchini
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup basil leaves or coriander leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or white pepper
- Heat oven to 200C (390F). Peel zucchini and chop off the top and bottom. Cut zucchini into ½ inch thick strips, brush with a little olive oil and place in a roasting pan along with the whole garlic cloves. Roast in the oven until tender (approx 15 minutes).
- In a food processor or blender, combine the zucchini pieces with olive oil, garlic, basil leaves, and salt. Pulse to a chunky purée.
- Transfer the dip to a small bowl and serve warm. It can be frozen or remainder stored in a jar in the refrigerator.
Change it upAny combination of herbs can be used. I like coriander (cilantro) or parsley as well as basil.
Freeze me!Freeze in single serve portions ready to take with you for snacks.
Roast Garlic Bulb in AdvanceSimply cut the top off a head of garlic, drizzle olive oil over the top, and wrap with aluminum foil and roast for 20 minutes. You can use this roast garlic in many other dishes or add to salad dressings.
Spice it upTry with 1/2 tsp ground cumin or coriander seeds.
Zucchini Cast-offsSave the zucchini peels and ends for vegetable stock.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary.
Some posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
Ultra-Low Histamine Meal Plan
Recipes just like this are in the Ultra-Low Histamine Meal Plan along with many more. Your low histamine elimination diet made easy, with 4-weekly meal plans, over 55 recipes, and prep guides and shopping lists for each week.