These cookies are irresistible and make low histamine eating much more fun. If you know you tolerate other types of fruit you can swap the apple out and try different flavours.
Ginger is a low histamine spice, however, this can be replaced with cinnamon or a mix of spices if you know you tolerate them. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and can help with hisatmine metabolism.
Make these cookies in advance to take with you for a daily snack. They freeze well and last for up to 5 days in a cool place.
Apple spiced oatmeal cookies
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1.5 cups oats rolled is best
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts chopped
- 2 tbsps ground flax seed
- 1 egg or chia egg see notes
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 apple finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, ginger, sea salt, and macadamia nuts. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the ground flax, egg, coconut sugar, melted coconut oil, and diced apple.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well to form a dough.
- Use a 1/4 cup to scoop balls of the dough onto the baking sheet and press down lightly. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
CeliacOats are wheat-free but for a fully gluten-free version swap with quinoa or millet flakes.
No egg or veganUse a chia egg! Mix 1 Tbsp chia seeds with 3 Tbsp water. Stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes to form a gel before using. You can also use ground flax seeds to make an egg replacer, however, I find Chia eggs work a little better.
Nut freeYou can leave out the nuts for a nut-free version or replace them with pumpkin seeds (pepitas).
Apple sizeFor this recipe, one apple is equal to approximately one cup of finely diced apple.
LeftoversStore in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days or in the freezer for longer.
Serving sizeOne serving is equal to one cookie. This recipe is in the Ultra-Low Histamine Meal Plan and the Vegan Low histamine recipe eBook. Your low histamine elimination diet made easy with 4-weekly meal plans, over 55 recipes, and prep guides and shopping lists for each week.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary.
Some posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
This recipe features in the low histamine plant-based recipe eBook along with many more. Simplify your low histamine elimination diet with 71 recipes, a 7-day meal plan, a prep guide, and shopping list.