This delicious soup is full of protein from red lentils. A low histamine vegan diet can be difficult as most nuts and legumes are high in histamine and we all need protein! Red lentils are one of the lower histamine options (moderate to high) which also taste great. Red lentils are usually the best-tolerated legume for people to start with as well.
Protein is essential to create neurotransmitters and repair cells. We need at least 0.8g-1g per kg of body weight per day. Eg 56-70g for a 70kg person. So many low histamine vegan recipes will contain some moderate and high histamine legumes for protein although the rest of the ingredients are very low.
Many people can tolerate some histamine in their diet, it all depends on the individuals bucket (tolerance levels). The Happy Without Histamine low histamine foods list has more details about which foods are high and low in histamine.
Egyptian lentil soup with caramelised onions
- Pressure Cooker
- 8 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups dry red lentils rinsed
- 3 yellow onions sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 lemon juice optional
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse then soak your lentils overnight in cold water, covered. You can put them in the fridge or benchtop if your in a cold climate.
- The next day, drain your lentils and rinse thoroughly.
- In a large pot, heat the water over high heat while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Add the lentils, 2/3 of the onion, garlic, cumin, and salt. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the lentils are simmering, heat a separate pan over medium-high heat with a bit of water. Add the remaining onions and cook until soft and golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir frequently and add more water as needed. Set aside.
- Add optional lemon juice to the soup and adjust the salt to your preference. Use a handheld blender to puree the soup until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Divide into bowls and top with the caramelized onions. Drizzel with olive oil.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary.
Some posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
This recipe features in the low histamine plant-based recipe eBook along with many more. Simplify your low histamine elimination diet with 71 recipes, a 7-day meal plan, a prep guide, and shopping list.